Salem News Channel

RSS Feed

Long Island Rail Strike Grinds Commutes To A Halt In NYC

The shutdown of the Long Island Rail Road entered a second day Sunday after unionized workers walked off the job over an ongoing contract dispute. Five unions representing about half of the rail system’s workforce remain on strike as negotiations with the MTA continue. Transit officials say limited shuttle bus service is being provided to help connect stranded commuters to New York City subway stations. New York Governor Kathy Hochul is expected to address the situation as officials work to restore service.

Read More...

WHO Declares Ebola Emergency

The World Health Organization has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. Health officials say at least 80 people have died and hundreds of suspected cases are under investigation across the region. The outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which currently has no approved vaccine or virus-specific treatment. The CDC says the risk to the United States remains low, but emergency response teams are being deployed to assist with containment and monitoring efforts.

Read More...

Navy jets collide during Idaho air show

Two U.S. Navy jets collided and crashed during an air show Sunday at Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho. Officials said all four crew members aboard the EA-18G Growlers safely ejected and are in stable condition. No injuries were reported on the ground. Videos shared online showed parachutes opening in the sky as the aircraft fell near the base, located about 50 miles south of Boise. The remainder of the air show was canceled following the crash. Video circulating on social media appeared to capture the moment of impact and the crews ejecting from the aircraft.

Read More...

That Kevin Show: 5/16/26 - Iran/China, Redfield’s Warning, Ella Langley

Cully Stimpson, Jacob Olidort, Dr Robert Redfield, Tom Tradup, Nick Peterson, Puppet Regime, Al Barry, Ella Langley

Read More...

ISIS second-in-command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki eliminated

May 15 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, had been eliminated in an operation conducted by U.S. and Nigerian forces. "Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield. Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing," Trump said in a post on Truth Social. He also thanked the Nigerian government for its partnership in the operation. Nigeria had earlier come under scrutiny from Trump who had said that Christians there were being persecuted, which the African nation's government denies. The U.S. had struck what it said were Islamist bases in northwestern Nigeria on Christmas Day last year, following Trump's accusations.

Read More...

Pres. Trump Didn't Start Gerrymandering...

Pres. Trump Didn't Start Gerrymandering...

Read More...

Larry Exposes Media Biases

Larry Exposes Media Biases

Read More...

Israel and Lebanon agree to extend ceasefire by 45 days

WASHINGTON, May 15 (Reuters) - Israel and Lebanon have agreed to a 45-day extension of a ceasefire U.S. President Donald Trump declared on April 16, the U.S. State Department said on Friday. "The April 16 cessation of hostilities will be extended by 45 days to enable further progress," State Department spokesman Tommy Piggott said. The State Department cast Israel-Lebanon talks - held in Washington on Thursday and Friday - as "highly productive" and said the countries would reconvene negotiations on June 2 and June 3. This week's talks were the sides' third meeting since Israel intensified air attacks on Lebanon after Hezbollah fired missiles at Israel on March 2, three days into the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran. Israel had widened its ground invasion into Lebanon's south last month. Fought in parallel to the U.S.-Iran conflict, Israel's war in Lebanon has rumbled on since U.S. President Donald Trump declared a ceasefire on April 16, though hostilities have largely been contained to southern Lebanon since then.

Read More...

Democrat Rep. Steve Cohen Ends Campaign After Redraw Of Memphis District

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic Rep. Steve Cohen of Tennessee is ending his bid for reelection. He's just the latest lawmaker to have his career upended by the redistricting battles that are sweeping the country. Republicans in Tennessee this month enacted a new U.S. House map that carves up a Cohen’s majority-Black district, reshaping it to the GOP’s advantage. It's part of President Donald Trump’s strategy to hold on to a slim Republican majority in the November midterm elections. Cohen has represented his Memphis-based district for nearly two decades. He lamented that Tennessee would likely shift to an entirely Republican delegation after the next election.

Read More...

Trump Admin Reportedly Prepares Raúl Castro Indictment

MIAMI (AP) — The Justice Department is preparing to seek an indictment against former Cuban President Raúl Castro, three people familiar with the matter tell The Associated Press. The indictment would require approval by a grand jury. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation. One of the people said the potential indictment is connected to Castro’s alleged role in the 1996 shootdown of planes operated by the Miami exile group. Prosecutors in Miami have been building cases against senior Cuban officials amid renewed pressure from south Florida Republicans and a pledge earlier this year by President Donald Trump to orchestrate a “friendly takeover” of the communist-run island

Read More...

Pentagon Halts Deployments To Poland And Germany To Cut Troop Numbers In Europe

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon is drawing down thousands of troops in Europe by stopping units from deploying to Poland and Germany as opposed to yanking those already stationed there. Several U.S. officials confirmed that 4,000 troops from an Army brigade are no longer en route to Poland this week. The Trump administration had previously said it was cutting U.S. forces only in Germany. The deployment was canceled after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth signed a memo directing a brigade combat team to be moved out of Europe. That's according to two U.S. officials. One of them said the choice of which unit was left to military leaders. The memo also led to the cancellation of an upcoming deployment to Germany.

Read More...

Trump's Meeting With Xi & China's Religious Freedom

With Sam Brownback, former U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom.

Read More...

What Was Accomplished with the Trump-Xi Summit?

What Was Accomplished with the Trump-Xi Summit?

Read More...

Children Don't Know How to Read Books Today

Children Don't Know How to Read Books Today

Read More...

Trump-XI Summit Fallout & Rededicate 250 Celebration

Trump-XI Summit Fallout & Rededicate 250 Celebration

Read More...

We Should Avoid War with China

We Should Avoid War with China

Read More...

Where Do Things Stand After the Trump-Xi Summit?

Where Do Things Stand After the Trump-Xi Summit?

Read More...

FBI Offers $200K Reward To Catch Ex-Air Force Specialist Wanted On Espionage Charges In Iran

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI is offering a $200,000 reward for information leading to the capture of a former U.S. Air Force counterintelligence specialist who defected to Iran in 2013. Monica Elfriede Witt was indicted in February 2019 on espionage charges. She remains at large. Witt allegedly transmitted national defense information to Iran. She served in the Air Force from 1997 to 2008 where she was trained in the Farsi language and was deployed overseas on classified counterintelligence missions, including to the Middle East. She later worked as a Defense Department contractor. The FBI believes someone knows her whereabouts and urges them to come forward.

Read More...

US-China Summit Ends With Xi And Trump Claiming Progress

BEIJING, May 15 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump left China on Friday with no major breakthroughs on trade or tangible help from Beijing to end the Iran war, despite two days spent heaping praise on his host, Xi Jinping. Trump's visit to America's main strategic and economic rival, the first by a U.S. president since his last trip in 2017, had aimed for tangible results to lift his sagging approval ratings before midterm elections in November. Xi will visit the U.S. in the fall at Trump's invitation, China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said. The summit was filled with pageantry, from goose-stepping soldiers to tours of a secret garden. But behind closed doors, Xi issued a stark warning to Trump that any mishandling of China's top concern, Taiwan, could spiral into conflict. During a huddle with reporters on the way back to the U.S., Trump said Xi told him he opposed Taiwan's independence. "I heard him out. I didn't make a comment ... I made no commitment either way," said Trump. He added that he will decide on a pending arms sale to Taiwan shortly, after speaking to "the person that right now is ... running Taiwan." It was unclear if Trump was referring to Taiwan's president, Lai Ching-te. A direct conversation between a sitting U.S. president and Taiwan's leader would be unprecedented in the period since Washington shifted diplomatic recognition to Beijing from Taipei in 1979, and would likely anger China, which sees the democratically governed island as its own territory. These were the first freewheeling remarks after two days in Beijing during which Trump stayed unusually restrained, with his off-the-cuff comments mainly focused on feting Xi's warmth and stature. "It's been an incredible visit. I think a lot of good has come of it," Trump told Xi at their final meeting at the Zhongnanhai complex, a former imperial garden. While Trump searched for immediate business wins, such as a deal to sell Boeing jets that did not impress investors, Xi talked up a long-term reset and pact to maintain stable trade ties with Washington, underscoring their differing priorities. Xi pushed a new term by describing the relationship as “constructive strategic stability” – a sharp departure from the framing of “strategic competition” used by former U.S. President Joe Biden, which Beijing disliked. “Until now, China hasn't proposed an alternative - now they have - if the U.S. side agrees, that is progress,” said Da Wei, director of the Center for International Security and Strategy at Tsinghua University in Beijing. NO HELP ON IRAN A brief U.S. summary of Thursday's talks highlighted what the White House called the leaders' shared desire to reopen the Strait of Hormuz off Iran, and Xi's interest in American oil purchases to pare its dependence on the Middle East. But just before the leaders met for tea on Friday, China's foreign ministry issued a blunt statement outlining its frustration with the war. "This conflict, which should never have happened, has no reason to continue," the ministry said, adding that China supported efforts to reach a peace deal in a war that had disrupted energy supplies and the global economy. At Zhongnanhai, Trump said the leaders had discussed Iran and felt "very similar", though Xi did not comment. On the flight back home, Trump added that he wasn't "asking for any favors" on Iran. Still, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had urged Beijing to use its leverage with Tehran to make a deal. But analysts doubt Xi will be willing to push Tehran hard or end support for its military, given Iran’s value to Beijing as a strategic counterweight to the U.S. "What's notable is that there's no Chinese commitment to do anything specific with regards to Iran," said Patricia Kim, a foreign policy fellow at the Brookings Institution. BOEING SHARES SLIDE ON UNDERWHELMING DEAL In another sign of a diminished scale of the summit, Trump’s readout did not mention the broad structural reforms on which previous presidents pressed Xi. Unlike his previous trip in 2017, Trump did not discuss “structural reforms,” “global economic governance” or the “international trading system” with Xi, according to the readout. Even the deal touted as the biggest single deliverable from the meetings underwhelmed. Boeing stock fell 4% when Trump said on Thursday that China would ?buy 200 Boeing (BA.N) jets, significantly fewer than the roughly 500 that sources told Reuters had been under discussion. He later added that the order could go up to 750 planes "if they do a good job with the 200." U.S. officials said they had agreed deals to sell farm goods and made progress on mechanisms to manage future trade, with both sides expected to identify $30 billion of non-sensitive goods. There were scant details of the deals, however, and no signs of a breakthrough on selling Nvidia's advanced H200 AI chips to China, despite CEO Jensen Huang's dramatic last-minute addition to the trip. Trump also left without official resolution to the rare earths supply problem that has dogged ties since China imposed export controls on the vital minerals in response to Trump's tariff barrage in April 2025. While the leaders struck a truce last October for Washington to lower tariffs in exchange for China keeping rare earths flowing, Beijing's controls have caused shortages for U.S. chipmakers and aerospace companies. When asked if the two sides extended the truce beyond later this year, Trump said he and Xi "did not discuss tariffs." Such an extension would be "the most basic benchmark" for the success of the summit, said Brookings' Kim. Xi's remarks to Trump that mishandling Taiwan, the democratically governed island Beijing claims, could lead to conflict, delivered a sharp warning during a summit that otherwise appeared friendly and relaxed. Taiwan, 50 miles (80 km) off China's coast, has long been a flashpoint in ties, with Beijing refusing to rule out use of military force to gain control of the island and the U.S. bound by law to provide it the means of self-defense. "U.S. policy on the issue of Taiwan is unchanged as of today," Secretary of State Marco Rubio told NBC News. Taiwan Foreign Minister Lin Chia-lung said Taiwan would continue to deepen ties with the U.S. and like-minded countries in the Indo-Pacific, adding that China was increasing regional "risks."

Read More...

DOJ Seeks Death Penalty For Man Charged With Killing 2 Israeli Embassy Staffers

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department will seek the death penalty for the man accused of fatally shooting two staff members of the Israeli Embassy in Washington outside a Jewish museum. Prosecutors disclosed the decision in a court filing Friday. Elias Rodriguez faces federal hate crime and murder charges in the killings of Yaron Lischinsky and Sarah Milgrim as they left an event at the museum last May. The charges against Rodriguez include a hate crime resulting in death. The indictment also includes notice of special findings, which allows prosecutors to pursue the death penalty.

Read More...

1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • The Mike Gallagher Show
    9:00AM - 11:00AM
     
    Mike Gallagher is one of the most listened-to radio talk show hosts in America.   >>
     
  • The Bruce Hooley Show
    11:00AM - 1:00PM
     
    After a three-decade career in newspaper, radio and television, Bruce Hooley   >>
     
  • The Scott Jennings Show
     
    Jennings is battle-tested on cable news, a veteran of four presidential   >>
     
  • Best Stocks Now
    3:00PM - 4:00PM
     
    Join Bill Gunderson live every morning while he hosts the nationally syndicated   >>
     
  • The Windsor Report
    4:00PM - 6:00PM
     
    Jack Windsor is founder and editor-in-chief of The Ohio Press Network and now   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide